Nikos K. Kantarakias was born in October 1976 in Athens, Greece. His family’s origins are from the island of Skiathos where he currently spends most of his time.
Raised among his father’s oil paintings, canvases, brushes and lots of film slides he started drawing at an early age while he also tinkered with a Zenit SLR camera fascinated by the process of taking a photograph.
From 2002 onwards, his involvement with photography became more intensive and his appreciation of the fine art photography grew through a series of seminars and personal study. He is a founding member of the Visual Poetry photography group, the PhotoMind community and a member of the PhotoCircle club (2008-2014).
- 2013 : exhibition with Elli Tsentiloglou-Kantarakia at “Litlle Art & Culture Gallery” in Skiathos island.
- 2012 : participation in group exhibition at “Litlle Art & Culture Gallery” in Skiathos island.
- 2011 : commended in London’s Photographic Association “Still Life 5” contest.
- 2011 : participation in group exhibition “The Big Picture”, Illiterate Gallery, Denver Month of Photography.
- 2010 : participation in group exhibition “Hidden Athens: Urban ghosts”.
- 2010 : participation in group exhibition “Photographing Vafeio theater”.
- 2009 : published the book “i walk in ruins”.
- 2009 : WIP # 3 online magazine /// Work In Progress http://www.wip.gr/.
- 2008-2009 : attended seminar on artistic photography by Platon Rivellis.
- 2008 : published the book “building site”.
- 2008 : 12th & 23rd place of “Top 25”, “Getting Ready” section at the International Wedding Image competition – Summer 2008. http://www.wedcomp.com/
- 2007 : nominee in Still Life in 2nd annual Photography Masters Cup. http://www.thecolorawards.com/
- 2006 : published an essay on a technique about Seeking realistic film grain with Photoshop.
- 2006 : attended seminar on artistic photography by Manos Lykakis.
- 2004 : participated in the group photography exhibition for homeless kids organized by DPGR.
i walk in ruins
all text and images from this website are subject to greek and international copyright laws (© nikos kantarakias). no text or image may be reproduced, copied, stored, manipulated or used whole or in part of a derivative work without the written permission of nikos kantarakias. all rights reserved.